So Vincent Valentine was kind of a last minute idea for Katsucon actually! I’ve always admired him and his design and he’s been on my list for the longest time so when I found myself short on time to make something for Katsu, he sprung to mind. His armor and outfit were simple enough to put together in the time frame that I had and I really wanted to make Cerberus (his gun) so it worked out really well! I also got to practice sewing quite a bit which was something I’ve been meaning to do more of.
I debuted Vincent at Katsucon 2017 and I plan on wearing him more in the future to other cons. He’s comfortable to wear, aside from the friggen shoes lol.
So this build was fairly straight forward.
The cloak poncho thing was sewn from scratch, using a fairly altered fashion poncho pattern thing I found. I really could have just made this pattern myself because I absolutely destroyed the pattern I bought and it ended up being the most simple cutout ever lol. I guess it was fun to experiment with though! The cape was just a long piece of fabric that tapered upward and I distressed the bottom using some fabric scissors, using quick circular whipping motions while cutting.
Leggings were ez, sewn using Yaya Han’s amazing black ultra preme fabric THIS SHIT IS AMAZING. I also used that fabric to sew all the tiny belts, holster and right arm cuff!
Armor was made out of 2mm craft foam sandwiched in between worbla with double worbla layer details, sealed with a layer of wood glue and primed with a couple layers of filler primer. Imperfections were filled with wood filler! I laid down a black base paint on everything and airbrushed a pretty gold on top. The shading was quickly done with burnt yellow and black oil paints and everything was sealed with a varnish and for safe transporting, I painted a satin mod podge layer over it.
Buckles were 3d modeled by my fiance, Robert and we sent those files to our buddy Brandon to print a master of each on his resin printer. Once I received those, I made a couple molds of each and cast like……………………….. 60 pieces. I can’t remember the exact number but it was a freaking lot. Once those were cleaned up, I just threw down some antique silver spray paint and gave them all a quick black wash with acrylic to weather them.
The most difficult part was definitely Cerberus, although, it wasn’t that hard to make surprisingly! The barrels are PVC pipe, wrapped in worbla, silver cerberus details are made out of hand shaped thibra, flat bulky details are double layered worbla and/or worbla sandwiched over various craft foam thicknesses and the handle is carved pink insulation foam wrapped in worbla. Oh and I stuck a couple metal rivets that you’ll notice on the gun too. After it was all built, I sealed it with wood glue, primed it with filler primer like I do armor and laid down black spray paint base coat and hand painted silver, gold and brown details with acrylic paints and finished it with a satin varnish.
The wig I used was an Amber from Arda Wigs in natural black! I just trimmed it, straightened it a little and gave it some more layers.
Photographer’s, 3D Artists and 3D Printers work featured on this page. <3